SIOPE is the only pan-European organisation dedicated to paediatric oncology: this is why our Society acts as a catalyst to unify all professionals in our sector across the continent. SIOPE promptly disseminates any relevant information to its members, supporting in this way the establishment of professional collaborations as well as the exchange of best practices. Also through our communication outlets, we do our best to ensure the best possible care and outcome for all children and young people with cancer in Europe.
In this section you be updated on the latest news and events related to paediatric oncology in Europe. Moreover, you will also find every kind of communication tool SIOPE makes use of: our newsletter ‘SIOPE News’, printed/online publications (policy position papers and scientific articles from SIOPE members), videos, brochures, adverts and links to our social media profiles on Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Sarah Quigley Childhood Cancer Survivor, Dublin, Ireland My name is Sarah Quigley and I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Stage2B cancer in 1999. That was 17 years ago, when I was 16 years old. I underwent 6 months of chemotherapy and 4 weeks of radiotherapy. My story is probably very similar to many people who were ... read more
- Lejla Kameric Ass. ‘A Heart for Children with Cancer’, Bosnia Herzegovina The first house in Bosnia and Herzegovina which will welcome both children with cancer and their parents officially opened its doors last 26 April in Sarajevo. This ‘parents’ house’ will provide continuous accommodation for young patients (and their families) who are treated in the Paediatric ... read more
- An outstanding meeting of the European branch of the confederation of parents’ organisations took place on 22-24 April 2016 in Belgrade, Serbia. Hosted by the Serbian Childhood Cancer Network, the Childhood Cancer International (CCI) Europe Regional Conference started with an introductory round for conference participants who wanted to know more about CCI and its current ... read more
- One of the objectives in the SIOPE Strategic Plan is to address the specific needs of adolescents and young adults, in cooperation with adult oncology. This is why the ESMO-SIOPE Joint Working Group on Cancer in Adolescents and Young Adults (AYA) was created in 2016. Although cancer in AYA is rare, it is a substantial cause ... read more
- Cancer survivors want to return to a normal life. The reality of life after cancer can be nevertheless harsh, especially if they have suffered from this life-threatening disease during childhood. Two workshops took place this spring in Brussels and covered this important subject from different angles. The first one was the 2nd Survivorship Summit (31 ... read more
- The SIOPE CRC expresses the unified voice of our professional and research community in Europe. This community recently decided that the SIOPE CRC should be composed of members coming from the different National Paediatric Haemato-Oncology Societies (NaPHOS) and European Clinical Trial Groups (ECTGs) in Europe. As a consequence the Council changed its structure, renewed its ... read more
- Sara Colomer Lahiguera European Paediatric Oncology Nurses Working Group One year ago, SIOPE hosted the first meeting of the European Paediatric Oncology Nurses Working Group at its premises in Brussels. On this occasion, representatives coming from different European countries (Austria, Italy, France and Spain) shared their experiences and points of view concerning paediatric haemato-oncology nursing. ... read more
- In the framework of the SIOPE Strategic Plan, we propose to develop a new platform to facilitate the implementation of the research strategy of European Clinical Trial Groups (ECTGs) in Paediatric Haemato-Oncology: the Clinical Trial Facilitation (CTF) Platform. Professor Pam Kearns (UK) and Professor Maria Grazia Valsecchi (Italy) are the leaders responsible for the implementation ... read more
- Open Info Day Horizon 2020 ‘Health, demographic change and wellbeing’ When: Friday, 8 July 2016 Where: Charlemagne building, rue de la Loi 170, 1040 Brussels The European Commission invites all those interested in Horizon 2020 calls to attend its special Information Day on research for better health and, more specifically, on personalised healthcare. This will ... read more
- Conference ‘Review of the EU Paediatric Medicines Regulation – Let’s do more for children with cancer’ When: Wednesday 7 September 2016, as from 15:30 Where: European Parliament, Brussels An exciting policy event will take place on 7 September 2016 at the European Parliament, hosted by MEPs Glenis Willmott MEP (S&D, UK). Co-organised by SIOPE, Cancer ... read more