The European Society for Paediatric Oncology (SIOP Europe or SIOPE) is the only pan-European organisation representing all professionals working in the field of childhood cancers. With more than 1850 members across 35 European countries, SIOPE is leading the way to ensure the best possible care and outcomes for all children and adolescents with cancer in Europe.
SIOPE was established in 1998 as the European branch of SIOP (International Society of Paediatric Oncology). In 2007, following the revision of its Statute, SIOPE became an independent organisation, with a permanent Secretariat in Brussels and a professional structure. In the same year, SIOPE joined forces with ESSO, EACR, ESMO, ESTRO and EONS and founded the European CanCer Organisation (ECCO).
The year 2009 represents a fundamental milestone for SIOPE as it succeeded in obtaining an EU-funded grant for the creation of ENCCA, a European Network for Cancer research in Children and Adolescents comprising 34 influential European research institutes dedicated to improving the treatment of children and adolescents with cancer. Since then, SIOPE became involved in other EU-funded projects such as PanCareSurFup, ExPO-r-Net and the European Partnership for Action Against Cancer.
In 2012, SIOPE underwent a second major restructuring effort to implement a new membership model that resulted in opening membership opportunities to the national paediatric haemato-oncology societies in Europe. Currently, SIOPE is legally established under Belgian law as an ‘Association sans but lucratif’ (ASBL). SIOPE’s activities are financed through the membership fees and through EU funds.
Finally, after an extensive consensus-building process, the SIOPE Strategic Plan was officially presented to the medical community (during the SIOPE Session at the 2015 European Cancer Congress) and launched at the EU policy-level (during a key event hosted by MEP Alojz Peterle and co-organised by SIOPE and the ‘MEPs Against Cancer’ Group at the European Parliament).
SIOPE as a member
In order to expand outreach and scope as an organisation, SIOPE develops its activities also through affiliation with other entities. SIOPE is therefore currently a member of the following organisations:
- ECCO, the European CanCer Organisation – Founding Member
- SIOP, the International Society for Paediatric Oncology
- EURORDIS – Rare Diseases Europe
- Rare Cancers Europe
- EFGCP, the European Forum for Good Clinical Practice
Importantly, SIOPE is registered in the official EU Transparency Register of interest representatives (id. nr.: 122803916413-09).
Structure at a glance
- General Assembly: General Assembly of SIOPE is the supreme governing body of our Society. It is composed by all SIOPE Members and it meets at least once a year.
- Board: the members of the Board oversee the work of SIOPE and are elected by the General Assembly. It is composed of:
- Chair and vice-Chair of the European Clinical Research Council for paediatric oncology (CRC)
- Staff together with the Chief Executive Officer as head of the office.
Tel: +32 2 880 62 82 | E-mail: email@example.com